Thursday, May 10, 2007

Goodnight Toes

About 17 years ago I was a new mother, a new doctor, and I was drenched in anxiety and having panic attacks. My therapist taught me a technique called progressive relaxation, where you concentrate on relaxing different parts of your body. This helped me a lot, and when my kids had trouble falling asleep, I tried it on them. Which led to my latest book, Goodnight Toes. Progressive relaxation for the toddler set.

I thought I would give you a teaser, like they do on the news--"Did you think that bubonic plague was a just a disease of the Middle Ages? Well, think again. The deadly spores of bubonic plague may be germinating in your own refrigerator. . . . Tune in at 10."

So here's my teaser, the first and last verses of Goodnight Toes:

Goodnight toes. Goodnight toes.
I'll cover you up as the sun goes down.
We squished in the mud and ran through the grass,
But the day has at last come to an end.
Goodnight toes. Wiggle and stretch.
We're cozy in bed for a little rest.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Goodnight eyes. Goodnight eyes.
Can you imagine what lies ahead?
At morning's first light we'll begin to explore
Rainforests and mountains, meet a dinosaur.
Goodnight eyes, close heavy lids.
We'll see in our dreams all the fun things we did.

6 comments:

Cynthia St Charles said...

Hi Vivian, Thanks for your comment on my blog about Devils Kitchen and my daughter's artwork. Yes, that painting is available for sale. Please contact me at cstcharles@hughes.net.

I enjoyed viewing your blog and find it most interesting that you write children's books - a long time dream of mine that I have not fulfilled. Cynthia St Charles in Billings, MT

Anonymous said...

I absolutly love your blog so far :-)
I thought it said dying to quit lol dying to quilt is so much better .
God Bless You , Roxie

meggie said...

What a lovely interesting blog you have! Where do you find the time!
You seem so busy & productive.
A friend used to tell me, if you want something done, ask a busy person... it is so true!
Love the idea of your books!
I used to make up stories for my children, but I never wrote them down.

sewkalico said...

What a wonderful book it's going to be! I saw the link to your blog on Quilterscorner and you sound like one busy woman. Perhaps you'll find time to try those NYB'a after all. The online tutorial is really helpful.

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

I love the sneak peek into your book! I'll have to find a toddler to give it to!

Unknown said...

Love this teaser - and we're sure to love the book too. Progressive relaxation is a great technique -- and nice base for your book!

Jill